Robin Williams

  When I found out about Robin Williams' death, it immediately took me back to his movies and humor.  I was like alot of kids that watched "Mork and Mindy" when it came on tv.  I don't really remember it as much as I do his other movies.  I know as a teen I watched "Dead Poets Society."  That movie, while controversial, made me think about being a passionate teacher and enjoying being a teacher.
  "Dead Poets Society" was a movie I saw as a junior or senior in high school.  I look back and now can't remember all of the movie, so I am speaking mainly on the inspiration that I do remember from watching the movie.  Robin Williams' character was a teacher who went against the appropriate ways of teaching in the school that was in this movie.  I don't think his intentions were to encourage disobedience or being a rebel.  I think he was trying to inspire and show passion for teaching and for his students.  As a young teacher, I wanted to have my students stand on their desks and say "Captain!" I wanted to encourage them to have passion.  I wanted to have that passion myself.  As I type this, I have tears in my eyes in thinking about the years that I got to teach at Oconee Christian Academy.  Now don't get me wrong  I LOVE being a mom and taking care of our family.  But I have to say that a little part of me, when I think about teaching, misses that realm.  However, I also know that I have a passion for my family and have learned to tune in to that!
  Another thing that I remember from this movie that I won't ever forget is the "Barbaric yawp."  When we graduated from high school, several of us gathered around, threw up our caps, and let out a "Yawp!"  I remember doing that with so much joy.  I remember looking around at my classmates - ones that I had grown up with - letting out our "YAWP!"  What a fun memory!!
  The death of such a famous man has come and gone.  I think about the fact that he was so very funny but dealt with deep, personal depression.  Depression is a hard thing to deal with.  I am sad for this loss for so many, but I am mostly sad for his family.  He will be truly missed but remembered for making so many laugh. Prayers for his family and friends as they mourn his passing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed;"

The State of My Being