ADHD, Autism, Dyslexia, OCD, APD, ODD

  We are well into starting up school as I'm sure you are too.  I can't believe the second week is over.  I feel as though the years are starting to fly by me.  If you have been following me over the past few months, you will remember that I am sharing parts of an amazing book called Triggers by Amber Lia and Wendy Speake.  I have their permission to share.  I am excited to share about this next chapter.  It is quite heart touching.  I have really been blessed by this book.  Particularly because it has worked on my heart which in turn has worked on others in the family.
  This chapter really moved me.  Wendy Speake is the one who wrote this chapter.  She starts off with saying, "Having a child with special needs, behavioral disorders, and learning difficulties can be one of the most difficult weights to bear.  And under pressure, mom's can explode, marriages implode, and love erode." I get this.  I have 5 children, one with major health issues.  I also have one child that has a hard time managing anger.  He is so much better than he used to be - praise the Lord!  Wendy goes on to share information from a therapist - "Usually what happens is that once we help one child with impulse control and oppositional tendencies, everyone else's behavior in the home begins to change. Kids with behavioral, developmental, or learning issues often cause the whole family to have issues as well." 
  Wendy says we mom's "are all poured out - stressed, sad, and short tempered too.  I'm sorry.  I'm sorry that you have such a challenging reality. But here's the deal, my friends: Your charge to love is the same as the woman next door with two compliant  girls and bumper stickers boasting, 'My child was on the honor roll...Again!' Every Christian has been given the same commission, regardless of circumstance: to love, because Christ first forgave us.  We are exorted to suffer beside our children  as long as need be, because our God is long-suffering in His tender care toward us." I couldn't have said anything else - what powerful words she used.  We can take this apply it to all areas of our lives.  And I must add this moved me to tears.
  We are all on a path that the Lord gave us.  He gives us opportunities to make choices.  If you are a person with anger issues, it can affect all areas of your life - even if you aren't a parent.  Think about the fact that she points out above.  If we remember that He first loved us and forgave us, why can't we do the same?  Why can't we apply this with the same grace and mercy?
  Well, I read what she writes here and think this may be a big tool that can help us.  Wendy Speake says for us to have Christ in us each and every day.  She mentions how Solomon asks God for wisdom out of all the things that he could have asked.  Since Solomon asked for this, the Lord blessed him with so much more.  Wisdom to lead His people.  Wisdom to lead our people!
  Who are the people that He has called you to lead?  Is it an office or people, a classroom of people, a church full of people, a home full of people?  Wendy Speake shares that He tells us in 2 Chronicles 1:10, "Give me the wisdom and knowledge, that I may go out and come in before this people: for who can judge this thy people, that is so great?" She share with us that we need wisdom - this is in dealing with children with challenges, but I think you can apply it to where you are - "We need wisdom as we lead these little ones, who belong to God...about medicine...diets...what we are to say and how we are to say it... education...how to discipline...and understand what it means to let love cover a multitude of their challenging sins."
  This is just a small chunk of this chapter - I just can't encourage you enough to but this book!  It has just ministered to my soul.  I know that each of you has your own challenges.  Let us "ask the Lord for His wisdom in the midst of it all." I pray for you today that you sense His presence and His strength.  Life is easy, but it is easier with our lives placed in His hands.  I love this song, "In His Hand."  It blesses my heart and reminds me that I and all of us and all of our situations are in His hand.  I pray that if you have a special child of any kind the Lord blesses you with wisdom, peace and patience to handle it.

Love, {{hugs}}, and prayers,
:0)Chandra

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed;"

The State of My Being